Ghana Kumasi Mission

"Be thou an example of the Believers..."
1 timothy 4:12

Tuesday, June 17, 2014

First Five Days!

     Hey guys!! So first off i don't have a ton of time so my spelling and grammar might be a little sloppy. Anyway. my flight stuff was interesting but I'm glad it happened. I ended up talking to a woman at a worship center thing at the Dallas airport and we got talking a lot about the church. She ended up wanting to say a prayer for me before i left and i said ya. So she touched my arm with one hand and my shoulder with the other. It was the coolest prayer I've ever heard. Even though the flight stuff was crazy I'm really really really glad it happened. I learned a good lesson too, that when you are in a bad situation, you're already in it so you might as well make the best of it.
     I arrived safely so that was nice but the driving here is CRAZY. I'm am so surprised i haven't gotten in an accident. Well..it seems crazy to me but everyone is doing the exact same thing and they don't get in accidents, at least that I've seen. And they all honk but like dad said they don't do it cuz they're mad but because they are just letting you know they are there. It's awesome. Getting to know my companions was cool. They are all from different parts of Africa and the couple elders that are here not from Africa are from Utah, New Zealand, and Australia. They are so cool. At first when i got here they were SO hard to understand it was ridiculous. But now i am getting the hang of it, and when i pray silently i can hear myself kinda with their accent. Its sweet. 
     As for the learning part of the mtc its been amazing. I've learned a ton so far and im learning more and more every day. Also, dad, i wish i would have listened more when it comes to the gospel related stuff!! When a question comes up i can remember a part of what you told me to answer it but i cant remember the whole thing! I hate it. Anyway, the people are so nice and humble. I almost feel bad having the things that i do. Family, be extremely grateful for what you have. Honestly. Most of the kids i have gotten close to only have one parent. because the other parent has passed away. Not left. They have all passed away. And with a lot of them, all they want is be able to come to America some day. I have a lot more to tell you about but that will have to be later. They keep coming over to see what i am writing. Mainly cuz i type so fast. Also be grateful for your education and use it. 
     On to other things. I'm a district leader! So that's fun. I get to teach my district lessons and we are having so much fun getting to know each other. My district is soooo funny. I love em. I'm learning more twi as well. Tons of kids here know it. At first getting the call to be a district leader scared me, but just jumping into it and doing as much as you can makes all the difference. I had to prepare a talk for a meeting in the morning and then a talk for sacrament meeting as well, all in one night, and we don't have a lot of time so it was at about 10:30. Getting a tiny idea of what dad does makes me really grateful for all that he does. And I'm just sorry its taken me till now to realize that. 
     I'm super tired still from the flights and from the time difference. But i think i am starting to catch up. I miss home so much its crazy. Well, i did at first and i know its only been a couple of days but I'm getting used to it and I'm loving it. Instead of thinking of how much time you have left, if you just lose yourself in the work it flies by. I cant send pictures today cuz i cant figure out how right now. But i will,i know you can do it with the card reader i just need more time. Don't worry, i don't have that many anyway. haha. 
     We went to this shop by the mall and there were a couple of cops standing outside of it. They carry these ak 47's, its pretty cool. These kids are AMAZING at soccer. Its insane. I played them and i felt like the biggest noob. Its ok though, they think its funny. I'm making friends like crazy too so that's awesome. When you shake their hands they all do the snap thing right after you shake, which is way sweet. I wish Americans did it. Now whenever i shake someones hand who doesn't do it,it throws me off. Also when they want to get your attention they'll make a little hissing noise at you. They're so awesome.
      We went to the temple today!! I was baptized, confirmed, and i went through the temple, all for my companions passed father. It was so cool. The font there is absolutely amazing. I cant even describe it in words. The way i felt when i walked in there was so awesome. the spirit was so strong. And it wasn't all white. They almost had no white in there, it was mainly dark marble. But it was still so so so clean and i felt the spirit so strong. The way the font is set up is so sweet, its so hard to explain but ill try one day. Oh! one more thing. There are street vendors that walk in the middle of all the cars in traffic. You just hand your money out the window and then you get whatever they are selling. Anyway i have to go. Love you all!!!
-elder madsen

1 comment:

  1. Good to hear from Chase! So proud of him and know that he will help changing peoples lives.

    ReplyDelete